Saturday, September 15, 2018

No More Darkness

The Roman Catholic Church has been embroiled in scandal, shame, and chaos during these last several weeks, following  a Grand Jury Report that made public,  accusations of  alleged sexual misconduct with minor's, by  approximately 300 Priests/Brothers/Deacon's/and Seminarians, in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Diocese, during the 1940's - 1990's.

I chose to be a member and raise my children in this Church almost 25 years ago. After the news broke, I selfishly tried to avoid hearing about it or watching it for a day or so until I thought I was ready to handle what was coming out. I found out very quickly that there is no way to prepare yourself to hear or read about behavior that is so egregious and disguisting, it falls to the level of  something worse than pure evil.

There are literally thousands of heart wrenching stories from the people who have been victimized, and they continue to break, as the investigation gets bigger and bigger. Meanwhile, I have come to find that while my head was buried somewhere in the sand in 2002, when something very similar was disclosed in Boston.

In no way would I ever mean to diminish the actual victims, but in some way, all of the members of the Roman Catholic Church have been victimized. How could we feel any differently, if we truly are catholic?

I have been left to make a decision. Where will I go to worship? Who will I support? How do I help?  After some serious contemplation I have come to a decision, at least for now, that is not an easy decision.  This year, I will honor my promise to teach CCD given my prior committment. I will attend Mass every week. I will continue to tithe.

I  cannot allow the wretched and deceitful behavior of these men push me away from my fellow Christians. If I don't stay, I can't hope to make a difference.  I certainly cannot help from the outside. I am committed to do whatever I can to help see that justice is done, and our children can be taught and worship, in a safe healthy enviornment.

No comments:

Post a Comment