Sunday, August 12, 2018

Chasing 10

Roger Jennings, Jr., 3rdnlong.wordpress.com, passed away on February 7th, 2017.  His Sister Jennifer has written Roger's story on his blog, and Roger's partner of 16 years, Antonio, has written beautiful tributes. Roger is lovingly referred to as "George,"  on the blog.

I haven't communicated with Roger for sometime, because I stopped writing my blog. We were friends on Facebook so I managed to stay connected to him. Not long ago I decided to find out what Roger had been up to, when I saw the sad new of his passing. I came to find out through reading recent posts his blog that he had been very sick with a very serious heart condition.

Roger and I never personally talked or met. I gleaned what I could about him from his posts, and he mine. I always knew that Roger had a very big heart. He was loving, considerate, and kind. I had no idea of his suffering.

Even though my own blog was very plain and unexciting, Roger always made it a point to make me feel like my words were important. He commented on almost every post. Roger would get an email alert when I had written something. I remember that one time he apologized to me saying, he couldn't believe he had missed my post; meanwhile I was only writing every month or so. 

I felt the need to dedicate my first new post to Roger. My heart is suffering right now too, but in a different way than Roger's. We never know who we are going to meet along the way, but I'm glad I had the privilege of knowing him for a time. I miss his encouragement right now.

I think if Roger got an email  that I made this post, he would tell me to be true to myself, and not to worry, as well as give me some sage advice that I wouldn't completely understand; that however, was part of his charm. 

Thank you Roger. I think you were important, too.  Sleep well, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment